Monday, October 7, 2013

Back Already

Back to work, that is.

Yes, that's right.  Today is my first day back to work after my way too short maternity leave.  I mean seriously - 6 weeks?  Who the hell is ready to go back to work after only 6 weeks?  Not this woman, that's for sure.

Luckily I work for a very flexible company and I am currently working from home (and will be until Elliot starts daycare on December 2nd).   I know to some people that might seem hard - trying to work when you have a squalling newborn to deal with.   Fortunately he is a pretty laid back little dude. This morning he napped on the end of the chaise while I was checking my emails and catching up with my coworkers:

He did a good bit of napping this morning, which worked out well for me.  I know I need to work on getting him to nap in the crib, but I didn't feel like tackling that today.  Plus I wanted to be able to look over and see him since I'm already bummed about being back to work.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I didn't miss all that much when I was out for my 6 weeks. I guess with furloughs and government shutdowns we are running a bit behind. It's nice to not be slammed the instant I got back - I can ease in and take my time getting settled instead of feeling rushed and overwhelmed.

I'm also going to be pumping to build my freezer stash in preparation for having to go back to the office.  So far I only have 20 oz in the freezer, but I figure if I can pump 5 oz/day for the next 8 weeks I'll have over 200 oz in the freezer when I go back.  That way I won't be totally stressed ever single day about getting enough for the next day's bottles like I was with Andrew.  I need to do another test to make sure Elliot will drink the frozen milk (he has once already) before I stock up, but I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get a stash built up.  We're going to need to make some room in the freezer - I guess it's time to start eating some ice cream  :)

So here I am, almost done with my first day back to work. It's been a pretty easy one so far (minimal emails) and I'm glad that it's over.  Now maybe I can get Elliot ready to watch the Buccos finish up their series and head to the NLCS:

1 comment:

  1. I've been keeping up, just can't comment on my phone. But it seems like you are making the best of things despite this early return to work. I let my guy nap on the end of the couch too, they seem to feel so content there. I know eventually and all too soon they like to be on their own:)