Wednesday, October 23, 2013

More Soggy Than Crunchy

Yeah, that's right. I'm not what you would really call a "crunchy" momma.  Based on this quiz I am 0% crunchy:


We don't use cloth diapers, circ'd both boys, do all vaccinations on time, never even considered a home birth, neither boy ever slept in our room much less in our bed, and we aren't exactly organic.  I do breastfeed and will until he weans or my supply tanks. Actually, I'll backtrack on that statement. With Andrew I made it to 14 months and I thought that was a good time to stop. I could never go all Mayim Bialik and breastfeed a 3 year old.  I know if other cultures that's the norm, but it's just not for me.

Anyway, there is one other aspect of 'crunchiness' that I'm giving a whirl - babywearing.  Not all the time, but when he wants to just be held and nothing else is wrong. Or when we're out and about and don't want to have to take the big double stroller.

With Andrew the only carrier we had was the snuggli one.  It got some use when he was a little guy, but we didn't use it very often. This time I've decided to branch out and bought a Baby K'Tan.  I figure it might be beneficial for the evenings when Elliot is being particularly fussy and wanting to be constantly held.  And maybe it will help me to actually get to eat a hot meal.

It came in the mail last week and I immediately tried it on.  I popped Elliot in it when he was already sleeping and he cuddled right in and continued to snooze.  Score.


Trying out the Baby K'Tan with my little photo bomber

The real test would be putting him in it while he was awake and hoping he'd settle down.  We went to the park on Sunday and after getting there he got a little fussy in the stroller.  I put on the Baby K'Tan and got him in there. At first he protested a little, but I got him positioned and rocked a little and then he settled right down. Before long he was asleep and he stayed that way the entire walk back from the park.  He even stayed asleep while I took it off and laid him down so I could go to the store:


I'm a little worried that I should have gotten a larger size because he seems a little snug in there, but when I read the instructions on the site it says it will stretch out so now I'm thinking we should just use it more and it'll stretch to where we need it.  I need to start using it around the house more when he's fussing so I can comfort him while still getting some stuff done around here.

So while I will probably never fall into the category of a crunchy mom I guess I can at least get a little more crispy.  And maybe eat a hot dinner soon.

8 comments:

  1. lol. I was wondering what this post was about with that title!

    I became a HUGE babywearing lover when that was the only way I could get my fussy baby to calm down. Now one thing I really look forward to when (someday) having a newborn again is being able to wear him/her a bunch. It's so cozy. I'm so glad Elliot seems to like it so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He likes it as long as he isn't super fussy going in. We'll be trying it at the pumpkin patch this afternoon - hopefully it goes well!

      Delete
  2. Babywearing is a life saver for those reasons. When Leland was a baby and wouldn't stop crying I would put him in a carrier and go on a walk- worked every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if we have another I'll give BW a try too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean "if"? Evie needs a little buddy! ;)

      Delete
  4. I think we could be best friends in real life based on this post alone! Just for kicks I took the quiz, and based on my answers I was 10% metro, whatever that means. I have no desire to ever have anything but an epidural-assisted birth, I'm not scraping poop off of cloth diapers, and I can't see breastfeeding past 18 months (we made it to 14 months, had to quit due to circumstances, but those circumstances showed us that James was only comfort nursing at that point anyway, I could barely pump a drop when I tried, so he wasn't actually using the milk).... of course these choices are for MY family, and I think that if someone is completely opposite me, and that's the right thing for them, as long as they are happy, I think that's GREAT.

    Totally enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no desire for anything but an epidural assisted birth either - too bad Elliot had other plans! I can't see breastfeeding past 18 months either - something about a walking talking toddler coming up and asking for it would weird me out.

      And I think we'd get along great in real life, too :)

      Delete