Friday, September 3, 2010

The good, the bad, and the expensive


Well, obviously the good is that I am pregnant and we are going to have a little bundle of joy sometime at the beginning of April.  The bad is that I am dealing with a multitude of not so pleasant 'symptoms' on any given day (but it's a small price to pay to get to have a baby).  Now on to the expensive.

I have great insurance through my company, but...   I have a high deductible health plan (HDHP) and a health savings account (HSA).  It's not a bad deal because as long as I take part in the wellness program at work my company will contribute 100% of the annual deductible to my HSA (throughout the year - not as one lump sum).  Great.  The only problem is, I have to pay for everything 100% until I reach my annual deductible ($2250).  Year to date I only have about $5 towards my deductible (I don't go to the doctor very often obviously). So - if I want to do the 1st tri screening ($475) I will pretty much have to pay for that even though it might be 'covered' because I haven't reached my deductible.  I wouldn't mind paying for it if this was January.  But it's September.   I know the health of the baby should be more important than having to shell out a bunch of cash.  But that test isn't guaranteed and it's not even a diagnosis. It's a screening. Hmm...

I'm off this afternoon to the lab to get blood drawn for my prenatal panel (ABO and Rh, HIV, CBC with differential, RPR, HbsAg, Rubella immune status, Random glucose screen, and Antibody screen).  I was going to do the CF screening, but I will have to pay for it.  That may be a gametime decision.

I guess I should get used to this kid costing us money, huh?  Hey, at least it doesn't want a pony yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment