Tuesday, June 12, 2012

TAT ~ My, How Things Have Changed

I'm hopping back in to Toddle Along Tuesday this week and the topic is how life has changed.  I'm taking this as how life has changed since the little munchkin made an appearance into our lives.

There of course were the obvious and expected changes.  At the beginning we slept a lot less and I cried a lot more (I was a hormone bomb that would detonate at the drop of a hat).  And we had this little person who we would both lay down our lives for at any given moment.  That all encompassing love was expected, but the intensity of it still took me by surprise (and still does sometimes).

One of the more subtle changes that caught me a little off guard was my attitude about morning time.  I'll preface this by saying I was one of those people who LOVED to sleep in - especially on the weekends.  Staying up late on Friday or Saturday night and then lounging in bed until 10:00 the next morning was heaven.  I was never a morning person.  I would curse my alarm every weekday morning as I stumbled over to turn it off. I hated having to get up and start my day in the 6 o'clock hour.  In short - mornings sucked.

Then this little man came along.



Now I'm not saying that I bounce out of bed all bright eyed and bushy tailed singing a song and rejoicing that it's morning time.  I still grumble when I hear my alarm go off and this is something that will probably never change.  But now after I turn off my alarm I pick up the monitor and take a look to see my sleeping munchkin in his crib. More often than not with his little butt sticking up in the air and at least one of his cuddly toys shoved up underneath him. This almost never fails to make me smile - and it's nice to start the day off with a smile.

Weekday mornings used to consist of me getting ready and rushing out the door.  It's a nice change of pace now to have my morning time with the little munchkin.  When I was still breastfeeding I absolutely loved our morning time together.  I adored getting to sit there quietly with him, stroking his fuzzy head and cuddling a little to start the day.  Now that we are done breastfeeding I am enjoying feeding him his breakfast and hanging out with him while I get everything ready to head out the door. Those 15-20 minutes in the morning are pretty fantastic. He's almost always in a great mood after a good night's sleep and starting out the day with a happy munchkin somehow makes my whole day better.


How could seeing this in the morning not make me smile??


So yeah - I won't say that having a baby has made me a morning person, but it has made me a happier person in the morning (even if I would like a little more sleep).

What about you?  What has changed in your life since you had a baby (got pregnant, got married, etc)?  Head on over to Growing Up Geeky and link up with Toddle Along Tuesday.



4 comments:

  1. I loved this post! I'm the same way with mornings now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'm the opposite! I still dread the mornings. I have a really hard time waking up. I think it doesn't help that my baby s nota morning person either, so he always wakes up grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering if this would happen to me also - I am exactly the same way now about mornings - I dread every one and snooze my alarm for as long as I can. My first is due in December, and I'm wondering if I will start to appreciate and like the early morning time more. I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaaw, this is so true! It is the sacrifices that you think you would never really like, but it is all for them and so worth it. I would say that my adjustment is not being able to be on my own schedule, clean when I want, go where I want...but this is obvious..and you know what? I just made a new schedule, and I love it...because it is all about my boy. Cute pictures of him, he has so much blonde hair!

    ReplyDelete