Friday, February 3, 2012

Things will never be the same

As anyone who was reading this blog at the time that Andrew was born knows, there was (is) a lot of tension between me and my sister following Andrew's birth and naming.  For anyone who wasn't here then, here is a quick refresher:

My sister previously dated/was engaged to a complete douche named Andy (back in 2004).  When I mentioned to her that we loved the name Andrew for our little munchkin she asked that we not use it because of him. I didn't make the connection because he was always Andy - not Andrew - and that relationship had been over for a long long time.  I have no plans of ever calling the munchkin Andy - I don't like that nickname.  Anyway, we had already fallen in love with the name and we never found a name we loved more so we used it and she sent me a nasty tirade of an email when I was 5 days post partum and there has been lots of conflict since.

Fast forward 10+ months.  She is now living in Pittsburgh and is in town for a few days. She texted me to see if I wanted to get together for lunch or dinner. I said if she wants to see the baby we can do dinner.  She said ok and just to let her know when and where. I asked if she wanted to go somewhere or just come over to the house.  Her response?

"Going somewhere would be better for me."

Ummmm.  Ok.  I assume it is because she doesn't want to come to the house since J will be there.  So because she (hopefully) feels some guilt about trying to ruin the happiest time in our lives she doesn't want to be around him since he was pissed about how she handled it all.

I love her. She is my sister so of course I do.  But right at the moment I am not liking her all that much. I am upset that she barely ever even mentions Andrew, NEVER refers to him by name, and has seen him 4 times in over 10 months (for 6 of those she lived right across town).  I'm pissed that she is still being selfish.  And I am sad that our relationship is such a complete mess.  We had always been extremely close and now we barely speak.  It hurts and makes me sad.  I don't know if we will ever get back the relationship that we had before Andrew was born.  I don't know if she is still thinking that I owe her an apology or what, but that won't be happening. 

I don't know, I just don't understand how a person - especially a blood relative - could not want to see and spend time with this:

2 comments:

  1. I love how happy Andrew always looks in your pictures. It always brightens my day a little bit!

    Family drama sucks especially when it's around something as awesome as a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh, family drama is the absolute worst. it makes me sad for you that this is still dragging on. one would think your sister would have accepted Andrew's name by now and come to terms with the fact that it's not changing and has absolutely nothing to do with her own bad relationship.

    I hope you guys are able to have a good time together and maybe she can move past this.

    ReplyDelete