Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bad Day - Good Night

I have to say, yesterday was rough.  Andrew was super fussy, constantly hungry, and going through diapers like they are going out of style.  Add in the fact that I was really tired and it was the prime scenario for a total meltdown...

The day started out ok.  He slept pretty well the night before, but I had trouble getting to sleep after getting up to feed him, so I was tired.  I thought getting out to get some exercise would give me some energy, so I put the head support thing in the jogging stroller so we could go for a walk.  Unfortunately it took almost 3 more hours to get out the door because he would not stop fussing and wanting to eat.  I felt like I couldn't get him off my boob.  And as fast as it went in it seemed to be coming out. I lost track of the number of diapers he went through.

Finally at 3:45 we got out for a walk.  We took a little tour of the Old Village and walked to Alhambra Hall where J and I got married almost 2 years ago.  Figured Andrew should see where mommy and daddy got hitched.  He of course slept through it all.

We got back home at 4:30 and I plopped him in the swing so I could shower.  I figured then we could nap together since I was seriously dragging.  No such luck.

As soon as I laid down on the couch Andrew decided to start his fussy and hungry thing from earlier in the day.  He wouldn't settle - or stop going through diapers at a record pace.  I was at my wits end and found myself getting so frustrated with him. That led to me feeling guilty about being frustrated with him, which made me even more upset.

By the time J got home I was in tears.  He promptly took over with Andrew so I could go lay down for a little bit. I never did fall asleep, but I was able to rest and clear my head for a bit.

After dinner we gave Andrew a bath and he slept for a while.  I fed him for the last time before bed at 10:30, put him down at 11:00, and he didn't get me back up until 3:00.  A four hour stretch - woo hoo!  I had him back down at 3:45 and he didn't get me up again until 7:30. 

So I guess I should be happy that he does his cluster feeding and fussiness during daylight hours instead of overnight.  And today he is being great and napping so I can get some stuff done around the house.  So he is back to his sweet self and I am back to being sane.  Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Aww that must be rough but it sounds like you're doing a great job! I hope you guys have a better day tomorrow!