Thursday, February 23, 2012

Birthday Party Planning

Yikes!  I can't believe it is that time already.  The thought that we need to plan the munchkin's first birthday party is scary. And exciting.  And just a little bit sad.  My little man is growing so fast.

Yesterday I ordered his birthday invites through Shutterfly.  Yeah, I am not crafty enough (nor do I have enough time) to do any fancy handmade invitations. Martha Stewart I am not.


We're planning on doing his party the Saturday after his birthday since his actual birthday is a Monday (damn leap year).  The reason for doing it that weekend instead of two days before his birthday is the Cooper River Bridge Run is the 31st.  I want to run it this year (I missed it last year for the first time in 6 years) and strollers are not allowed.  We figured since the in-laws will be in town for his party they can watch him that morning for 2 hours while J and I run.  Probably a little (or a lot) ambitious to plan a party for 1:00 that afternoon, but hopefully we're up for the challenge.

This isn't going to be a big fancy theme party with over the top decorations, amazing catered food, and hired entertainment.  We're planning on just doing a little cookout with hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill (please please please let it be nice weather!), some balloons for him to play with and a cake for him to destroy.

We still have to figure out just who we are inviting. I don't want this to be a big thing and don't feel the need to have 30 people at a 1 year old's birthday. I particularly hope that we don't have to invite J's crazy ass aunt and awful cousin.  This day is supposed to be all about Andrew and those two have a way of making everything about them (our wedding included).  Ugh - I guess we'll have to sit down and work out the guest list soon.

I'm debating if I should just buy a cake for him (less work) or if I should try to get my Martha on and make one of the awesome cakes that I found online:


What do you think?  Am I crazy for thinking I can make something cool like this without it ending up a complete mess?  J laughed at me when I showed him these.

I guess we'll just have to see how confident I'm feeling as the big day approaches.  At least I already have his birthday wardrobe picked out. I got him some 1st birthday shirts from Carter's (one for his actual birthday and one for the party).  Any excuse to buy him more clothes  :)

Aaaahhhhhh - I can't believe he's turning one soon!!!



3 comments:

  1. Personally? I'd take the photo of the cake you want and have someone else make it. No way, I'd attempt anything that crazy ahhaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might attempt the lego one, but that's about it. I vote for you getting someone else too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww what a sweet little invite. I wouldn't attempt a cake. I'm debating attempting plain cupcakes but those probably won't happen...hell, I'm considering skipping the party all together. Not sure if that makes me a bad mom :)

    ReplyDelete