Friday, August 10, 2012

So Glad the Olympics are Almost Over

Because this woman needs some sleep!

I'm actually sad that they will be ending this weekend because I love watching all the events. But that is the problem.  I LOVE watching them so I end up staying up later than I normally would and my ass has been dragging all week.

I've seen a lot of people complaining about their regularly scheduled programming being messed up.  I don't get that.  Maybe it's because I am a sports nut and I love watching pretty much any sport (except the NBA and golf), but I get so excited when the Olympics come around.  I find myself watching random sports that I know nothing about but that I find oddly fascinating.  Seriously - we sat there watching the entire gold medal match in women's water polo last night (we record the daytime stuff on NBC everyday).  Those women (and the men who play) are amazing athletes.  Treading water for that long while also trying to shoot a ball and not be dunked by your opponent can't be easy.

All the track and field events are kind of fun to watch. Pole vaulting?  Crazy. I can't even imagine flinging myself 15+ feet in the air on a flexible pole and flying over the bar to go plunging back down to the mat.  The triple jump is kind of odd, but interesting. And watching Usain Bolt smoke the field and make it look easy is just amazing.

My favorite summer games events are the swimming ones. I swam competitively from 6th grade through my senior year of high school and did the 200 IM and 100 fly so I know how hard some of the events are.  And watching some of the close races that come down to the touch on the wall are some of the most exciting things ever.  I still get chills watching the men's 4 X 100 freestyle relay from the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Most of all I love seeing the stories of the athletes. We watched the decathlon the other night and after the U.S. athlete wrapped up the gold medal he went and found his mom in the stands and got a big hug from her.  Seeing that interaction made me a little misty eyed.  Thinking of how proud that mom is of her "little boy" made me smile and daydream about one day watching Andrew accomplish something like that.  With the way he dives off the couch and tumbles around everywhere I think he'd make a great gymnast or diver.  What do you think - Olympics 2032?  A mom can dream...

4 comments:

  1. I'd never actually watched a water polo match before, but I have scene actual polo. So when The Mister told me about water polo I asked where all the horses were. Looking back I'm realizing why he almost peed himself laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you! I have no idea what most of the shows are that people talk about. 90% of what we watch is sports. Between the Tour de France and now the Olympics, I'm dying to go to bed early soon, which won't happen when football starts! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I liked you for a reason ;)

      We spent 3 weeks watching the Tour de France every night and now the Olympics. At least it's still a few weeks til 'real' football starts.

      Delete
  3. Evie is totally gonna be a swimmer (both her father and me are former competitive swimmers) or a gymnast. :) I LOVE the olympics too!!!

    ReplyDelete