Friday, August 26, 2011

5 Months!


That's right - my little man is 5 months old today!  To celebrate I am working at home/taking PTO with him.

Actually, I am working from home/taking PTO because for some reason the Charleston County schools are closed, which means our daycare is also closed. And since we don't have a back-up figured out at this time that means I get to spend the day with him.  I guess I should thank hurricane Irene - for bypassing Charleston but still giving me a day with my munchkin.

So, here we are at 5 months - and here are the stats that I should have been doing every month (but I guess better late than never! And thank you mrsmonica because I took this from you!)

Age: 5 months

Stats:  At his last check (4 months and 15 days) he was 15 lbs even (39th percentile), 26.5 inches (88th) and his head was 16.75  inches (47th).  I'm guessing he's getting close to 16 lbs by now - especially with the way he's been eating.

Size (diapers, clothes, etc.):  He's still in size 2 diapers but we may be getting close to switching to the 3's.  He's mostly in size 3-6 month for clothes, although he's still able to fit into a couple of his 3 month size outfits.  Some of the 6 month ones fit well but others are still way too big.

Sleeping: He is still sleeping like a champ at night - almost always for at least 9 hours and on weekends up to almost 11 hours.  He is getting a little better at napping during the day (thank you daycare!).

Eating: Still EBF when I am home with him and bottles of pumped milk at daycare.  This past week his appetite has been ravenous and he's been eating up to four 7 oz bottles while at daycare. Not sure if they are over feeding him.  I feed on demand when home with him.  We've also started some baby food (sweet potatoes, squash, and carrots) which he seems to enjoy. He doesn't like the cereal (rice and oatmeal) and will spit it out.  I tried giving him some chunks of cantaloupe to see if he could pick it up and put it in his mouth to gnaw on, but so far he just looks at it.  Maybe next month.

Milestones: He definitely found his feet and has gotten very good about getting those little toes in his mouth.  He rolls from back to belly in a heartbeat and is moving around a LOT.  I can put him on the play mat one direction on his back, walk away for a minute to get something, and when I look back he is on his tummy and has done a 180.  He's great at sitting in the bumbo, went swimming in the ocean for the first time, and discovered that he can stick his tongue out and get a smile out of us.

New adventures:  His first dip in the ocean this past weekend.

Favorite toys and activities:  He loves his play mat with the hanging toys on it and the crinkly things he can grab and make noise.  He's a big fan of his crinkly elephant and star - anything that makes that noise. J said we should just give him an empty Cheetos bag since it makes the same noise!

Funny happenings:  I was attempting to NIP this past weekend at the beach. I was in our little tent and had the nursing cover, but he apparently did NOT like being kept under wraps and kept trying to fling it off.  I'm hoping no one actually got a free show, but it was not easy keeping him (and me) covered.

What I'm looking forward to:  Seeing what else he is capable of. It's so much fun to watch him discover new things and to watch the wonder on his face when he realizes what he can do.  Who knew that a baby would be this much fun?  :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad the hurricane is missing you guys, stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! He's growing so fast! I can't wait to experience these things as a first-time mother. The pics are adorable!

    ReplyDelete