Monday, August 1, 2011

First Day

Today is Andrew's first day at daycare.  This morning wasn't the complete chaos that I thought it might be.  Last night I got as much as I could gathered up and ready for today. 

I packed his diaper bag with 6 burp cloths (he's a spitter), 5 bibs, 2 blankets, 4 outfits, 3 packages of wipes and had the box of diapers by the door.  He has a big basket at daycare to keep all his stuff in.  I'll rotate outfits in and out but the other stuff will stay there. They do laundry every week and will wash the bibs, blankets, and burp cloths.

I had the cooler bag in the fridge with four bags of fresh milk. My frozen milk appears to be no good - he is refusing it - so I have to keep up with the pumping to keep him fed. And I had two 6 oz bottles ready for him. Andrea told me that they only need 2 bottles since they'll wash them.

This morning I got up at 5:44 (I like odd times on my alarm clock), got myself ready, went downstairs at 6:30 and pumped one side (got 5 oz for tomorrow).  J came down in the meantime and woke up the little man at 6:45, changed his diaper and got him into his outfit for the day.  I then sat down with him in the glider to nurse him and J left for work.  He ate for about 20 mins, I checked his diaper, then popped him in the crib for a few minutes so I could take everything down to the car.  After a few trips I had everything and I scooped him out of his crib and into the carseat.

We were at the daycare by 7:32 (it's only a mile from the house) and were the first ones there.  This meant I got some time to go over everything with Andrea and Marc.  I filled them in to the fact that he is not the best napper in the world and that I hoped they would have better luck with that than I do.  I spent about 20 minutes there before I dragged myself away and out the door.

He was smiling and "talking" when I left - which I hope was a good sign for the day.  I told him I loved him and that I would be there by 4:30 to get him.

So far I am doing good today. I've only called once to check on him. I think the fact that this isn't the first day that I am ever leaving him has helped. J's mom being here all that time watching him has prepared me and I was able to get through the morning with no tears.

Of course - I can't wait to get out of here in 3 1/2 hours to go pick him up.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he has napped a bit and isn't a complete cranky pants when I get him.  Can't wait to see this face:

1 comment: