Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Falling out of love

No - not  with J.  And certainly not with this little guy:




I'm talking about my love affair with my pump.  Not that I've ever really loved pumping - except for maybe the satisfaction of filling that bottle and the relief I would feel from my engorged boob deflating.

But now the thrill is gone.  I don't feel like it it working as well anymore.  Sometimes it seems like it's 'catching' and making a weird noise - almost sputtering. Like it's not doing the whole cycle. I give it a whack and it goes back to normal.  I'm pretty sure that isn't the recommended way to handle the situation, though.

And I just don't feel like it's getting as much milk as it used to.  After it appears to be done I will finish by hand expressing some more. And I've been getting another ounce or so just by hand.  Obviously there is plenty of milk left in the jugs, but the pump just isn't up to snuff.

Not cool, my little friend. Not cool at all.

But I will persevere and continue to use it until it completely dies because I am bound and determined to keep providing my little munchkin with milk for as long as he wants it.

I'll just no longer be singing the praises of my trusty little sidekick.


4 comments:

  1. Yep, My Ameda sadly died on me a couple weeks ago...the thing was about 7 years old. I hope yours hangs in there! Of course mine died after I was gloating about how much I loved breastfeeding because the whole thing was *free*...then goodbye $300 :( Oh, and I definitely gave my pump a good whack when it made it's final noise - I love how instinct is to do that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's still working, I just feel like it isn't working as well as it did. 85% of the time I don't have any problems with it, but it does hang up sometimes. I hope it keeps working for as long as Andrew wants to breastfeed - I really don't want to have to spend the money on another pump!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has started happening to me too! I will have to assist the pump at the end and squeeze to get the rest of the milk out. I don't want to leave any milk since then my body will start thinking it's not needed.

    I'm considering calling the company to see if they'll do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Medela and it stopped working on me. I called and they are overnighting me a new one for free.

    ReplyDelete