Thursday, December 29, 2011

Maybe it's me

So I've been having some issues with pumping and getting as much milk as I was in the past.  I've been blaming it on my pump.  Especially since the new Ameda pump is not the same as my original. It's not as strong and doesn't function as well.

Well, now for the last few days I've been using a Medela Pump In Style Advanced and I'm not seeing an improvement.  As a matter of fact, my first pumping session at work this morning resulted in only 5 ounces.  I used to be able to get 8-10 the first time I pumped.

Sigh.

So maybe it wasn't the pump. Maybe it's my body that is crapping out instead.  That makes me sad.  We still have three months to make it to my goal of a year of breastfeeding. If things continue on the way they have been that is never gonna happen.

I know I should probably increase my number of pumping sessions at work, but I am already spending an hour a day with the two that I do right now.   It would be one thing if I had a private office and could pump while I worked, but I share an office and have to go to an empty room to pump, so that is an hour of productivity out the window.

I'm not totally throwing in the towel and stopping.  But I might have to resign myself to the fact that we are going to have to start forking out some cash for formula to get us through the next three months (he has been getting some formula right now, but only about 5 oz a day).

In the meantime I am going to chug water like it's going out of style and nurse him and pump the hell out of myself this 3 day weekend and see if that helps.

Please body, go back to working like you were. I want to provide for the munchkin for just a little while longer...

5 comments:

  1. I'm having the same issue.

    I pump three times a day and it's becoming increasingly frustrating. I really want to make a year as well.

    Just remember that even if Andrew has to go on formula you have done an amazing job the last nine months and no matter what you are feeding your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same with me and my little guy is a few weeks younger than Andrew. You have to figure though that his demands will decrease a bit as he starts to eat more food... so you might be ok. Hang in there and you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having the same issues. I have completely stopped pumping in the morning while on break because I got so frustrated...that means I'm making up no ground while I'm home. But frankly, I needed a break. Be proud of yourself! 9 months is amazing! Sometimes if you're a smaller person, like you and I are, as you lose your weight and workout, the milk supply can't keep up. It's just not natural for us to eat as many calories as we need to. You've done amazing! Do you take fenugreek? It's the difference for me...and...believe it or not, not pumping for a while. Take a weekend and just feed, don't pump at all. That seems to help me. GL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya. Then I got the flu this weeek too. Most weeks she goes with no formula. But some weeks she gets it. I just can't mentally or physically do more than I am doing now. And that is okay for me. Making it to a year is my goal, but I don't care if formula is involved because my sanity is also important too me, and pumping has been stressing me out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! I'm sorry that we're all struggling a bit, but the reassurance that I'm not alone is kind of nice.

    The flu killed me back in October, but I was able to bounce back. I'm hoping I can make a comeback from this latest dip, too. I'll keep taking my fenugreek, drinking my tea, and nursing as much as I can and hope for the best. I just want to do the very best that I can for Andrew, which I know you all understand :)

    ReplyDelete