I've been tagged by the amazing mrs.monica over at Running Through Parenthood...In Heels to complete this 11 things survey. I appreciate the tag from my former labor buddy. We went through our pregnancies together on the April Moms board on The Bump and I always love reading her blog and getting tips on how to manage being an active working mom. I really hope that when the time comes for J and I to expand our family with another baby that I can keep it together half as well as she has with her two beautiful kids.
Anyway - on to the 11 things...
1. Post the rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself & 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the questions set for you in the original post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter/facebook and tell them that you've tagged them.
From our wedding almost 3 years ago (and the happiest day of my life prior to March 26, 2011)
11 Random Facts About Me
1. I have two tattoos. The first one is on my butt and I got it with a friend as a freshman in college basically because we could. The other one is on my lower back (yes, I have the lovely "tramp stamp"). I got that one my senior year in college during a time that I was rebelling because I was so mad at my family for lying to me about some things that were going on. I successfully hid it from my parents for two years. I've contemplated getting that one removed.
2. I started working when I was 14 (Baskin Robbins) so I have no patience for lazy people who sit there with their hands out wanting everything for free.
3. There have been times where I have wondered if we should have just named Andrew something else because of the drama it caused in my family and how it has (possibly forever) fractured mine and my sister's relationship.
4. I cannot stand when people whistle. To me it is never a good sound, even if you are whistling an actual song. J whistles all the time and it makes me want to smack him sometimes.
5. I played soccer for 9 years (2nd grade through 11th grade). I quit my senior year because I hated the coach and refused to kiss his ass so I didn't play all that much. I sometimes regret not sticking it out for that last year.
6. I love to watch 'The Bachelor' for it's ridiculousness and 'Survivor' for the competitive aspect, but I hate most other "reality" tv. I have no desire to keep up with a Kardashian and would rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than watch any "real" housewife from wherever.
7. My eyes are hazel but with my contacts in they look green. I never correct someone if they comment on my green eyes because I wish they actually were that color.
8. I got engaged when I was 23 to a guy that I had been dating for four months. Thankfully it was a long engagement and I figured out he wasn't the one. I called it off two months before the wedding. 10 years later that dress is still hanging in a closet in our house (not for sentimental reasons - I just didn't know what to do with it).
9. I have read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' at least a dozen times. My husband doesn't understand how I can read a book more than once, but I'm sure I will read it a few more times in the future.
10. I still have an AOL email address that I have had since 1999 and I actually use it.
11. I've had half a dozen kidney stones in my lifetime, starting my senior year in college. They are always in my right kidney so I guess that is the bunk one. If anyone ever needs a kidney transplant from me they are getting that one.
Questions from mrs.monica
1. What's your favorite form of exercise?
This wasn't always the case, but running. I was never a runner until I met J. Right after we started dating I did my first ever 10K (and ended up walking a good bit of it). That was 7 years ago and in the time since I have completed 3 half marathons, a 15K and countless 10Ks and 5Ks. I love being able to go out for a run and just shutting off my brain. It is such a great stress reliever for me and I am just now getting back into my rhythm after having Andrew.
2. If you could change your career, what is your dream job?
Honestly I don't know. I know it's weird, but there was never one thing I was drawn to as a child (like my sister who always knew she wanted to be a doctor). I was - in my mom's words - well rounded and did a little bit of everything. I have a degree in communications and took several production classes that I loved in college. If I was going to do something different I would probably like to do something in television. And by that I mean something cooler than my first job out of college as the camera operator for the morning news program.
3. Do you have a favorite drink at starbucks?
I don't do starbucks that often (because I am cheap and don't like to spend that much money on coffee) but if I do go I tend to get a mocha lite frappacino. Yeah, probably not even considered a real coffee drink by most people, but I think they're yummy.
4. What is one piece of advice you want to give other women before they have kids?
Honestly? Make sure you are ready. Having a child is not something to go into lightly. Life changes big time and if it's something you are not sure about then it is probably better to wait (if you can). J and I were ready and wanted Andrew more than anything, but this first year has not been all sunshine and roses. I love my munchkin more than anything in this world, but it has been a huge adjustment for me (us). I've had a lot of difficulty finding that balance between being his mom and being me. That being said, I would not trade him for anything.
5. Are you on birth control? What form? Why or why not?
I am currently on the mini-pill and seriously suck at taking it at the same time every day. I'm still breastfeeding and haven't had my first post partum period yet. My ObGyn told me that once I stop breastfeeding to give her a call and she'll call me in a prescription for the regular pill, but I think at that point we may be ready to start going for #2, so I may just quit altogether. Obviously J and I need to have a discussion about that first, though.
6. Kindle, Nook, Ipad, paper book or another option?
I had an e-reader that J got me for Christmas two years ago (it got broken when he knocked it off the dresser) and I liked that I could have multiple books in one little package, but there is just something about paper books that I love. Pre-baby I read a LOT (it's hard to find the downtime now) and I always love the satisfaction of getting to the end of an actual book. For me curling up with a good book just isn't the same when there are no pages to turn.
7. Do you buy organic? If you do, what products? If you don't, why not?
Sometimes, but not always. There's no real reason. I don't seek out organic things, but I also don't try to avoid them. They tend to be more expensive (I'm cheap, remember?) so I don't always go for them. But now that we are feeding Andrew I think we should try to go more organic, especially with fruits and veggies where you eat the skin. I guess I can add that to my list of things to do.
8. Who is your movie star crush now? Who was it when you were growing up?
Hmmm - this is a tough one. I'm going to go with George Clooney because he is a damn handsome man and I love his voice. When I was growing up I loved Kevin Costner (wow, that makes me sound old). I don't know - I just thought he was hot (and he is still a good looking guy in my opinion).
9. Toilet paper roll, from the top or the bottom?
From the top. Always. It drives me crazy if it isn't on there that way and I have been known to switch it around at my parents house, restaurants, and at work if it's on there wrong.
10. Why did you start blogging? Does it serve the same purpose now?
I started blogging when I found out I was pregnant with Andrew. I wanted a way to document the pregnancy and life beyond so I could look back and see what I was thinking and feeling along the journey. I've gone back and read posts from throughout my pregnancy and it's entertaining to see what I was worried about and what I was thinking. It still serves somewhat of the same purpose - I'm documenting our life with Andrew, what's happening with him, how I feel about things, the struggles I go through as a first time working mom, and life in general. It is a nice outlet and I love getting feedback from others who are in the same situation currently or who have been in the past.
11. I could not live without ________ because ______.
I guess this should be besides the obvious of my husband and child, right? One thing that I could not make it through the day without is chapstick because I have a habit of biting my lips so I try to keep them slathered and moist. I'm a bit of an addict and have one in my nightstand drawer for before bed, one in every purse, one in my work desk for during the day, one in my gym bag, at least one in Andrew's diaper bag, and several others stashed throughout the house. I get excited when I pick up our packets for a race and I see that included amongst the goodies is a new chapstick. Most of the time I confiscate J's, too, since he doesn't use them.
Now my questions...
1. What is something that, prior to having a baby, you said you would never do as a parent that you are now doing? What changed your mind?
2. What is your favorite "me" time activity?
3. You can go back and relive one day in your life - what day would you choose?
4. What is your dream vacation destination?
5. If you are going to happy hour what is your go to drink?
6. Is there anything that your parents did during your upbringing that you are determined not to do with your kids?
7. If you were given tickets to any concert possible who would you want to see? Who would it have been 10 years ago?
8. You only have 20 minutes to go online - what sites do you absolutely have to check before your time is up?
9. Where are you in the birth order in your family (oldest, youngest, only child)? Has that had an impact on the number of kids that you want to have?
10. If the world was ending tomorrow what would you eat for your last meal?
11. If you could trade places with anyone for one day who would it be? Why?
Megan @ Denver Adventures
Natalie @ Growing Up a NJ Wife & Mom
Brandywine @ From Two Scoops to Three
Christina @ Bachs By The Beach