Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today J and I started the morning with a nice little 5K race.  The 33rd annual Turkey Day Run through downtown Charleston. It was the first time that J has run since his shoulder surgery 6 weeks ago and I'm 20+ weeks pregnant, so I wasn't too optimistic of our finishing time. No big deal - the whole point was to get in some miles and burn some calories so I don't feel so guilty indulging in a day of gluttony (I LOVE Thanksgiving!).

After the national anthem (sung by a soldier who had just returned from Afghanistan), the blessing of the water (not sure what that was about), and a quick countdown we were off.

If was a beautiful day for a run, but honestly a little warm. It's November 25th for crying out loud - why is it so hot?  Staring into the blazing sun didn't help.  Anyway, I made sure I wasn't overdoing it (as long as I could carry on a conversation I figured I was ok) and we trotted along.  A nice little tour of the Battery, through a few neighborhoods, and a finish down King Street.

I was kind of surprised that we did a 26:14 - only a little more than a minute over last years time. And here I am 4 1/2 months pregnant and the heaviest I have ever been in my entire life. Not too shabby.

Now it's time to crash on the couch, watch some football, eat way too much food, and enjoy one of my favorite holidays.  I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

At the start line

The crowd milling around waiting at the start

No comments:

Post a Comment