Thursday, December 2, 2010

The name game

Now comes the tough part - deciding on a name.

Tuesday night after we found out we're having a boy I started going through the boy names in the book again.  Seems like everything I suggested or mentioned (some jokingly) got shot down.  But of course J offered no suggestions of his own.

Or actually he has one suggestion. Jack or Jackson.  Big thumbs down from me. Not a fan of Jack and I have a cousin with a son named Jackson and I just think it's too trendy.  I kind of don't want a name that's on the list of top names from the past few years.

I hate all the -aden names (Aiden, Brayden, Kaden, Jayden, etc.).  I detest 'unique' spellings (Jaxon). And I can't stand adding a 'Y' in a name or replacing another vowel with it (Jayson).

I want a name that will age well - not something that is a cute little boy name but will sound dumb on a grown man.

I've already asked J if we can use Joseph as the middle name. That's my dad's name and being that he didn't have a son to pass down our last name to I would really love to honor him that way.  Plus he is so excited to be getting a grandson and I think it will be really meaningful.  J is fine with it.

Anyway, out of all the names in the book I keep coming back to two - Wesley and Owen.  I was apprehensive about Wesley because our last name also starts with a 'W', but the more I say it the more I like it.  And I love Owen, but I don't know that I want to give our kid the initials OJ.

I need to run Wesley Joseph past J again and see what his thoughts are. I'll just have to keep putting it out there and hopefully it will grow on him  In the meantime I'll keep saying it out loud and see if I get a reaction out of the little man  :)

2 comments:

  1. I really like the name Wesley but our friends cat is named that and there would be no way to name my kid that without people constantly bringing up the cat and I would have to harm them. I am unsure of just plain Wes and I dont know how I feel about Weston.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - it's so tough considering names of friends kids, past and present pets, and everything else. I'd also added Andrew and Evan to the mix so we'll see. Names are tough!

    ReplyDelete